… the obsession continues.
I have now made four tops (or blouses … I never know what to call them) and have the material and patterns for at least two more.
So I was thumbing through the Garnet Hill catalog I received a few weeks ago and as I looked at the pages I started to think, “I could make that and that and …” And so the dog-earing began. One top in particular that stood out as both cute and doable was this one:
So the next time I hit JoAnn’s I grabbed some teal/aqua (sounds awful I know) linen to give it a try. But before I could make it up myself, I hit a huge pattern sale at Hancock’s and found Butterick B5217 “Fast & Easy.” And thus the bubble blouse was born:
I ended up taking in the sides A LOT as it looked way more voluminous and “maternity-ish” than I wanted. I still wasn’t totally happy with the way it looked so I decided to make it a bubble blouse by adding elastic to the hem to fit my hips. I liked it enough I wore it to church on Sunday and I have plans to make another with the modifications I learned as well as trying a few more to make it slightly more tailored.
On that same trip to Hancock’s I grabbed a few more patterns and some grey/white cotton to try out another top. I decided to try it out on another Butterick Fast & Easy (I’m all about fast and easy … LOL) Pattern B4685. I think that in the end the cotton was a little stiff for this blouse, but I do think the pattern has potential. I also agree with several reviewers of this pattern that it needs lengthened (the pattern cover picture is deceiving). And while I don’t have great plans for this shirt, I do plan to make another from the pattern.
Later I googled the pattern and came across someone’s blog where they suggested that they could use this pattern to make a blouse more similar to this photo (I’m not sure what clothing catalog it was from). I had to save the picture because I agree, the top would be adorable for fall.