Mug Rugs {for Days} …

Or is it dayz? I need to re-fresh my hip-hop/social vernacular … or maybe I don’t! πŸ˜‰

Po-TA-to, Po-TAH-to … I’ve had mug rugs on the brain and in the shop and in my carry on.

SS Mug Rug Class PhotoMatoux
Photo courtesy of: Instagram @photomatoux

I hosted a couple of spur-of-the-moment mug rug Insta-sales that went over swimmingly right before I left for Sewing Summit where I taught a class on making mug rugs. So today’s post is a little bit about both.

First, I’m planning to have a “Mug Rug Insta-Sale” once a week for the next few weeks. I’m going to experiment with the best timing and whether to keep the sales in my regular Instagram account or in my Knitty Bitties Shop account. I’ll have 10+ mug rugs available at each sale and they will go for $12 which includes shipping {this saves you 15% over what I charge in my Etsy shop}.

Second, I’ve been asked to make a DIY “Mug Rug Kit” and I’m curious what the response would be to that. I would put together a kit of supplies to make {1} finished mug rug including the {in progress} Mug Rug Pattern I’ll soon have available in my shop. Interest?

Which brings me to … Third, I pushed myself to make a pattern for my mug rug class and I’m quite happy with how it turned out. I did the illustrations myself in Adobe Illustrator and I feel like it was a perfect start to a finished pattern. I’d like to now add a few more mug rug options to the pattern as well as photographs to spice it up and give a little extra visual help on the binding technique. I would like to send the pattern out to 3-5 “testers” in the next 2 weeks to try, and then give me your feedback as well as post about on Instagram/Facebook/Blog. Please leave a comment with your contact information if you’re interested.

SS Mug Rug Class SewingSummit
Photo courtsy of: Instagram @sewingsummit

My class at Sewing Summit went SO well {I think} … I wasn’t really nervous and my students were sweet and encouraging. I hope they had as good of a time as I did! My class had the potential for 30 students, but I ended up only having about 15. I was scheduled for the same time as a very popular lecture class … BUT, that actually was a blessing. The smaller class size allowed the students plenty of access to the ironing boards & cutting mats and they almost all finished their mug rug before leaving.

Here are a few of the photos that popped up on Instagram from my class:

Blog2 From Top Left {Clockwise}:: @livefaithgirl / @photomatoux {featuring @jvaughnrn} / @livefaithgirl / @jvaughnrn / @bischinha / @citystitches / @savinggrc / @hollylesue {Middle}:: @twinsquared

2013-09-21_1379782571

Of course, I was a little afraid that my students would be BORED with the simplicity of the mug rug … so I came prepared with some AWESOME swag for my class sponsored by the fabulous Robert Kaufman. Let’s be honest, this may be why my class went over so well, but I’m not above a little bribery ;). Each student received a charm pack of the NEW Kona colors for 2013, a hexie pack of Kona brights & a cut of Essex Linen in Flax to use as backing/binding on their mug rugs. Fun, right?

I’ve got a ‘swag pack’ left over and I’d love to share one with one of YOU {along with my Mug Rug Pattern}! Just use the Rafflecopter widget to enter … easy peasy.

a Rafflecopter giveaway

Comments

1. I would love to see more of your rugs on sale! And I would love to pattern test for you too! Email me πŸ˜‰

2. I absolutely love mug rugs. I think you have some fabulous ideas! I like everything,

3. Jordan L says:

I love mug rugs, I actually just made two for my mom for her birthday! I would love to see different patterns and kits for them.

4. I gave one of your mug rugs as a Christmas gift last year to our daycare lady. Now I’d like one for my own!

5. Looks wonderful!

6. It was SO GREAT to meet you at SS! You seriously are the sweetest and you were the Miss Congeniality of Sewing Summit! :)

Oh, and I love the idea of a pattern and a kit! Such a great idea! Love the mug rugs! :)

7. All of your things are amazing of course! πŸ˜‰

8. I think the insta-sale is a great idea and I would definitely be interested in the kits and different patterns (wonderful gift ideas as well!)

9. Love mug rugs…have a few of my own. I think some creative patterns would be great. =) Thanks

10. Kelly O. says:

I love making mug rugs! Because I make them myself, I’m not really interested in buying them but might be interested in a kit or pattern…. I’d be happy to test a pattern for you :)

11. Andrea I REALLY loved your mug rug class at SS, especially since I only started making these recently! Your class was lovely, as are you! The swag was a bonus but I’d take your class without swag any day girl!! I’d be thrilled to pattern test for you as well. Anytime.

12. Oh and one more thing, mug rug kits would be awesome stocking stuffers for our sewing friends and family. Very fun.

13. I love the idea of mug rugs, they are great, i would be interested in buying a kit & or the pattern,

14. Cindy says:

I was supposed to be in your class but had to sell my ticket as an ankle break held me back.

15. Anne Marie says:

Love the mug rugs and love the idea of the kits. The insta sale sounds great although I am not on instagram – do you have to be a member to purchase items for sale?

16. Ellen M. says:

Mug rugs are great – quick to make and infinite possibilities on how you piece them (love the one that was done with the hexies). I think the kit would be great, especially for the beginning quilter who doesn’t have a lot of scraps hanging around. Thanks!

17. Margaret R says:

I love mug rugs. They are so fun to make. Kits would make cute little gifts to give .

18. Absolutely!

19. Courtney Elwell says:

I’d love to see more kits. Your rug mugs are adorable! Thanks!

20. TK Oler says:

Mug rugs are so cute. It makes me want to make some hot chocolate just so I can set it on a mug rug. I think kits are a fabulous idea because you have a better eye for color than I do:)

21. Hi Andrea–
    I would love to pattern test for you. I’ve got quiltiness on the brain but no time for anything large scale, so minis would provide some much-needed soothing sewing for me right now :)

22. Martha says:

Love mug rugs and kits would be super!!!:)

23. Love mug rugs (and your blog tremendously!) I think I need one :)

24. Julie Kay says:

I have long admired your mug rugs and table runners. Making a table runner is on my short goal list. I began sewing three years ago. I am self taught so I’m always looking for easy tutorials to follow. As a matter of fact, it’s how I found your blog to begin with. This year I used your basic straight line baby quilt tutorial to make my son a quilt for his first birthday. It turned out very well. Thank you for the great tutorial! I would love to test out a pattern for you.

25. I have several mug rugs around my home, all made by quilty friends. They are the perfect gift!

26. I think your idea of a DIY mug rug kit is great! I could definitely see them being a popular present for people at Christmas time. If you need any more testers let me know, I’d love to test out your pattern for you.

27. Karen says:

I am not sure…I think it depends on how cute the mug rug is!

28. Great idea as there are always sewers who like a kit. I love mug rugs and have them everywhere!

29. Jennifer T. says:

Those are adorable. Love the apple fabric.

30. If you are still in need of pattern testers, I’d love to do it! Your mug rugs are the reason I found your blog. They are oh-so-fabulous!

31. Karrie Smith says:

I love kits! That’s a great idea. It’s all picked out for me and ready to go.

32. Alissa B says:

a great take home project, fun instructor, and some very nice swag – sounds like an awesome class!

33. Great mug rugs and kits are a great idea.

34. I love mug rugs. I would love to see some new patterns. If you want I would love to test pattern for you.

35. Love your mugrugs! I’ve bought two in your instasales!

36. Becca Kohn says:

I’m sure you’re done with testing the pattern, but just in case I would love a chance to test for you!

• Hi Becca!
      Due to Quilt Market sewing and now holiday/boutique sewing, I haven’t yet had a chance to get back to it. Thank you for leaving your name and I’ll be sure to do an update post when I’m ready to start rolling on that project ;). XOXO